By DAPO OLAWUNI
Following a protest and barricade of the office of the Federal Ministry of Transportation in Abuja earlier in the week, the Minister of Transportation, Eng. Muazu Jaji Sambo has stated the resolve of the
Federal Government at securing the release of the 43 persons still held captive by the terrorists.
Sambo stated this while addressing families of the victims of the ill-fated March 28, 2022, train attack who led a peaceful protest to the Ministry demanding the release of their loved ones.
The Minister further disclosed that a Situation Room will be created to constantly keep the families abreast of efforts by the government to secure the release of the remaining victims.
“The government has not been sleeping from the enquiries | have made. There are some things you do not say in public, but | want you to give me time. Let me resume properly in this office and | promise you, this will be the first issue | am going to tackle by the grace of God”, the Minister assured.
Speaking further, the Transportation Minister, requested for details of contacts, names, addresses and telephone numbers that he can reach, promising that he will be in constant engagement until every single person in captivity regains freedom and gets reunited with their families.
In a five minutes and 30 seconds video which surfaced online at the weekend, the terrorists who abducted the victims were seen beating them mercilessly.
In the video recorded in the Hausa language, Four of the victims, who spoke in the video lamented that the Nigerian government had failed in meeting the demands of the terrorists and called on the international community to intervene.
One of the victims said they had spent 120 days in captivity without the government showing concern about their plight, adding that, their relations had indicated interest in securing their release, but the government prevented them.
“Our relations wanted to rescue us, but the government prevented them. For this reason, we are calling on nations across the world, like America, England, France, the International community, Saudi-Arabia to intervene in this matter.“These people (terrorists) didn’t even have the intention of keeping us for seven days if their demand were met. But the Nigerian government did not show concern over this issue.
“That is the reason why we are calling on big nations of the world like America, England, France, the International community, the United Nation, African Union, to intervene so that we will be freed and be reunited with our families,” he said.