Police Arrest 40 Shi’ite Members Over Attack on National Assembly


The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) police command yesterday arrested 40 members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, popularly known as Shi’ites who invaded the National Assembly and shot two policemen and an operative of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.

The spokesman Anjuguri Manzah said the two policemen that were shot in the legs were recovering at the National Assembly clinic. According to him, the sect also attacked six other policemen with stones and clubs.

The Shi’ite members vandalized several vehicles as they attempted to take over the building, but they were resisted by the policemen and other security operatives on duty.

A police team at Samuel Ademulegun Avenue, near the National Mosque, were seen searching commercial buses yesterday in order to fish out the sect members.

Manzah stated, “The group, which started its activity camouflaged in a peaceful procession, became violent and tried to force their way into the National Assembly.

“Police on the ground, however, acted proactively, professionally and used minimum force to disperse the unruly protesters.

“Forty members of the sect have been arrested in connection with the violent protest and investigation is in progress.”

The command explained that adequate measures had been put in place to prevent further security breaches.

The sect members, who were protesting the continued incarceration of their leader, Ibrahim Zakzaky, that had been in detention since December, 2015, also attacked six other policemen at the National Assembly with stones and clubs.The Shiite members reportedly overpowered the policemen at the gate of the National Assembly, collected one of their guns and shot the two security operatives.

They entered the main entrance popularly known as MOPOL gate and vandalised the gate house. They also burnt three vehicles and destroyed many others.

The sect unleashed terror on security operatives when tear-gas canisters were thrown to disperse them. There were fears among the National Assembly staff on Tuesday that one of the policemen, who were shot, had died.But when contacted, the Federal Capital Territory Police spokesman, Anjuguri Manzah, said no policeman died during the clash with the IMN members, He said, “We don’t have any casualty, no policeman died. Why would we hide such a thing? There was no casualty.”

”During the protest by the Shiites, there was pandemonium at the National Assembly as its gates were closed. Staff and visitors ran for dear lives during the clash between the sect and the police.Visitors to the federal parliament were barred from entering the premises as of the time of filing this report.

He also denied that the IMN members seized a gun from a policeman.

He said, “No police gun is missing, we have no record that the Shiite members snatched guns from our men.

Once the information filtered into the House of Representatives, which was still in plenary as of the time of the attack, the Speaker, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, called for adjournment of the session.He said, “We have to adjourn now for security and legislative reasons.

Leader…” The Majority Leader, Alhassan Ado-Doguwa, moved a motion for adjournment, while the Minority Leader, Mr Ndudi Elumelu, seconded the motion

The Speaker, other leaders and members of the House, after the plenary, visited the victims at the clinic.While the National Assembly Clinic confirmed that seven persons were injured, most of whom were security men, a security source disclosed that the Divisional Police Officer, National Assembly Division, Mr Umar Sambo, had gunshot, knife cut and stone injuries.

Speaking with journalists, the Director of Medical Services, National Assembly, Dr Bashir Hamza, said seven victims were taken to the clinic, most of whom he said were policemen.

He said, “They were brought here as an emergency. As usual, when patients come like that we don’t have to confirm whether it is a staff member or a visitor; we just first of all rush to save the life.“That was what had exactly done.

As soon as they were brought in, we had doctors on the ground who quickly received them. They were other medical personnel also on the ground who attended to them.

“One of the patients had a cut which looked like knife cut on the head and was bleeding profusely.

That was immediately attended to, to stop the bleeding. There was another one with gunshot wound on the left shoulder. It was quickly attended to too.

“In all the cases that we have seen – I think we have seen seven persons with various degrees of injury, we made sure that they were stabilised, with the exception of the first one that I mentioned who has been losing a lot of blood and has started becoming restless.

“In our medical knowledge, we know that people (patients) who start to become restless are getting out of control,

probably the bleeding is much higher than we anticipated or there is internal bleeding in the head, because it is appearing (to be) swollen.“That one is to be transferred to the Trauma Centre of the National Hospital (Abuja).

That will be ensured because we have ambulances on the ground, ready for evacuation.Asked about the profile of the persons attacked, the director said, “The majority are police officers. As we learnt, it was a protest. So, people who would try to go against a protest are usually police officers, except if you are unlucky to (have been) caught up between (them). The majority are police officers.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.